Thursday, December 9, 2010

the poo grinder




Since moving to Chilliwack, the kids and I have been enlightened as to all things "farmy." We have a 20 minute drive (one way) to school and on our route we pass many fields and farms. During the weeks when the pooh was being liberally applied to the fields we would drive with our hands over our mouths in an attempt to block out the smell. It didn't work.
The kids didn't know what a manure spreader was, so I explained the concept to them (you know, me with my big farm background and all!) Ella said, "You mean a poo grinder, Mom?" Yes, that's exactly what I mean.. and the phrase stuck. We have all become poo grinder experts.
We've also been keeping track of all the "wildlife" we see on our route. So far, we have seen: cows, horses, donkeys, chickens, sheep, eagles, and of course, there's a dog that runs across the road every morning just before we pass by. I'm sure I'm forgetting something on the list. Needless to say, it is quite a different experience from our 2 minute drive to Edison last year, where, if we were lucky, we saw a few squirrels.
So, now that's it's December, I think it's safe to assume that it's too cold to spread the manure, right? A few months of good clean air. Ahh, life in the boonies.

No comments: